A Girl of Grit and Determination

This story really appealed to me as a sign of her grit and determination. Hope it appeals to you also.
Until she lost her right arm to a train accident, Shreya Sen was known in Bhausaheb Hire College of Architecture for her hand drawings rather than those using computer software. Two months later, the final year student is back at college, determined to draw again, and has already started practice with her left.
Shreya, 21, was travelling from Kolkata to Mumbai on May 28 on the Gnyaneshwari Express when the train derailed near Midnapore. A resident of Kurla, Shreya spent a major part of the last two months recuperating in Kolkata. Friends and teachers, who have been collecting funds for a prosthetic arm, greeted her back with a surprise party with flowers, cards and her favourite chocolate pastry and pizzas.
She is hopeful of mastering her architectural drawings with her left hand.
“For some time, at least, I will have to start using the designing software and my friends are helping me. I will keep practising using my left arm to sketch,” said Shreya.
She is confident about her skills. “The actual designing is done by the brain and luckily my brain is still in place. The arm is only a tool to transfer this idea on paper. I am sure I will master the same skills with my left hand soon. Though I am a strong girl, I would not have made it without the support of my friends and well-wishers,” she said.
Following her accident, her close friends in Mumbai had started a drive to collect funds for her prosthetic and have managed Rs 5 lakh so far. Classmate Yogita Patil said they are confident of collecting more in the next three months. “Shreya’s arm will take another three months to heal completely after which the artificial arm can be fitted. Till then, we will continue our collection,” she said.
Shreya is busy with the topic of her final year thesis. Instead of submitting it in October like her other classmates, she will submit hers in March 2011. Between graduating and taking up a job, Shreya wants to travel across India to study historical architecture. 
Courtesy:Indian Express